Thursday, August 3, 2017

IF I were training for a race...

I may have stated earlier this week that I was considering following some sort of training plan. For running. A half-marathon. I know. That was crazy, right? Then I saw this interesting 10k coming up in September. I could run a 10k again. That's the sort of distance I could get behind. But it's only four weeks away, and most 10k training plans seem to be 8 to 10 weeks long. And assume I am already running 10-15 miles a week. I am not. 

The thing is: running intervals, is totally different than running straight. The first time I ran, I completely concentrated on running three miles without stopping and then running four and running five and finally running six. But running doesn't have to be that way. 

When I finish running a slow 3/2 interval with Tracy, I am ready to be done because sitting is more enjoyable than running, but I am not so dead tired that I must lay down. I could easily go another three intervals. And that would be 4+ miles. I'm sure I could do 3/2 intervals for an hour. And that would be close to 5 miles. So if it were race day, I could power through to six. 

But if I could already do it, than what am I training for? Speed I guess. And I don't want to worry about that. Really I just want the training plan to give myself a schedule. 

So here's what I found. A beginner's plan for running a half-marathon. It has three days of running. One long run and two other days that are 3-5 miles. I could easily add those into my week. It has a cross-training day that I would love to make my BodyCombat class. And then it has a second cross-training day that I could do HIIT and arm weights at the gym. It still has two days off. I feel like I could do this. Though I would never do the long run on my own. More than an hour out there and I would be bored out of my mind. 

I am nearing the best thirteen weeks of weather this state ever has. If I am going to devote time to hitting the pavement. It is now...



No comments:

Post a Comment