Monday, August 7, 2017

Four Miles was Hard

I made up my own eight week running plan. It looks like this:

I am still not sure if there's a reason to do the 6 mile race. Though having Sammie watch me complete a race is appealing. Though she already thinks I am so strong I could be the next America Ninja Warrior. So I guess I have nothing to prove to her. Do I have anything to prove to myself?

For now, I just need a plan and I want to run more. You know I love a chart. And "take another Combat class" doesn't really need a log. So I am going to try this. I completed Week 1 last week:

I skipped my weight lifting day and I took a Combat class instead of running the first three miles (but I thought that was a good "heavy cardio" replacement!) So I am already slacking. Other than that, I got my 5k with Tracy done on Friday. We did 3/2 intervals and my phone totally acted up and said we ran 6 miles. Luckily, we know where our path turns around and ends, so we knew we'd done 3.1 miles, and that was the approximate time.


On Sunday I was excited (yes, excited!) to run 4 miles. I wanted to see how easy it was. I added two more intervals to my run plan (taking me up to 11 intervals - 55 minutes) and was planning on about an hour workout. I started off fine. But that last mile was brutal. My run times went from 12:00 miles to 13:00. And my walk speeds slowed down too. It was my legs that were dead, not my lungs. The two minutes was enough time to get my heartrate down. I just felt like my feet weren't moving any more. I am sure it will take a few weeks to get used to higher mileage. My legs were saying, ummm, we just did this the other day. We're supposed to take a week off!


I listened to an audiobook. A lot of people have suggested this, and in the past it hasn't worked for me. I need the music to break up the workout and to give me a beat. It worked pretty good this time though. I think the intervals broke up the workout more. And I told myself it didn't matter how slow I went so I wasn't concerned with my step pattern. I thought I would have to turn it off half-way through and start my music. But I didn't.

On the other hand, maybe the run would have felt better if I had music. Or maybe I am just not used to being out there for an hour by myself. With nobody to talk to. People say running is this great "me time". Those people must be introverts.

I sent Tracy a link to the 10k. I said I *might* be interested. She said she *might* take a look and let me know. I'm not ready to commit to being a runner again.

No comments:

Post a Comment